About short angles
Drive & Boast - striving to angle the ball towards the nick area
Published: 27 Dec 2005 - 18:18 by rippa rit
Updated: 08 Dec 2011 - 10:19
Subscribers: Log in to subscribe to this post.
This is about playing angles to the nick, namely drives and boasts. Often we tend to get into trouble when playing short angles, though what I describe will apply to others. It is really geometry. An example of the elements to think about when returning a short shot (drives and boasts).
in this diagram as shown) are:
- the distance the ball is from the side wall,
- the height of the bounce of the ball
- the depth the ball lands within the court
- your court positioning (struggling to get there or ready early)
Whatever the reply, short or long, it is about angles. Simply put, when driving the ball, it could be easier to halve the angle between the ball and the side wall, to realise the front wall target. Before you start trying this during a game, do this little exercise to get the idea and see if you can see the angles:
- stand at the T, bounce a ball on the corner of the service box,
- halve the angle from the corner of the service box to the side wall (which would be about 1m),
- now aim 1m across the front wall (from the corner), and that target should then place the ball angling nicely to the back corner of the court.
Experiment with different ball positions using this same theory. Let us know how it went. It seems confusing but just be patient and hit a dozen or so balls until you can consistently get the accuracy.. you will soon get it.
These diagrams show the angles for both drives and boasts. After some solo drills, find a partner, and follow up with the routines in these diagrams. Being able to hit the nick when playing a boast is no fluke shot, it is all about the angle.How to add images to Members' Forum posts and replies here...
Please Note: The most recent replies are now at the top!
From 3atclub - 08 Dec 2011 - 10:19
From rippa rit - 01 Nov 2008 - 17:42 - Updated: 01 Nov 2008 - 17:59
From mike - 01 Nov 2008 - 07:44
From rippa rit - 01 Nov 2008 - 06:09
From mike - 01 Nov 2008 - 05:37
From raystrach - 11 Jun 2006 - 07:31
From rippa rit - 08 Jun 2006 - 17:00
From BizarreCo - 08 Jun 2006 - 06:30
Sorry, only members can post replies on this and all other Members` Forum items.
Support us here at Squashgame.info! If you think we helped you, please consider our Squash Shop when purchasing or make a small contribution.